Frequently Asked Questions

Where does the soya come from?
Which of the plant-based drinks are gluten-free?
Which of the plant-based drinks are lactose-free?
Differences between milk and plant-based drinks:
Where can I find Frías Nutrición products?
Are plant-based drinks a substitute for animal milk?
From what age can plant-based drinks be consumed?
Benefits or contraindications of plant-based drinks in the elderly
Content percentages in plant-based drinks… Why only X%?
What are isoflavones and why are they good for us?
Is there a daily recommended amount or a limitation?
How can I find out if a product is non-GMO?
Section 2
Where does the soya come from?

At Frías Nutrición we get our soya directly from the producer, we know the full traceability right back the crop. We can guarantee the non-transgenic origin of our soya. We always select the best soya, from the best crops. Its origin is mainly European, chiefly from France.

Which of the plant-based drinks are gluten-free?

Our soya drink is gluten-free.

Our almond drink is gluten-free.

Our rice drink is gluten-free.

Our hazelnut drink is gluten-free.

Our coconut drink is gluten-free.

Our oat drink may contain gluten, mainly due to contact with other cereals such as wheat or barley, as oats actually have a low percentage of a type of gluten protein called avenin. In any case, coeliac associations advise coeliacs not to consume it. In fact, in Spain, oat products cannot be labelled as gluten-free”.

Which of the plant-based drinks are lactose-free?

None of our plant-based drinks contain lactose or milk protein. They are produced in a plant exclusively for plant-origin food products, where there is no milk.

Differences between milk and plant-based drinks:

EU legislation “exclusively reserves the designation ‘milk’ to describe milk of animal origin”. Subsequently, a plant-based drink cannot be called “milk”, with the exception of almond milk, which has historically been referred to as such and is therefore an exception to this rule.

The reasoning behind this regulation, according to the CJEU, is to avoid creating confusion among consumers, but in any case, they are healthy alternatives to the products of animal origin that they usually replace, and they are generally referred to using these terms.

Where can I find Frías Nutrición products?

Frías Nutrición is present in the main distribution chains across Spain and Europe, as well as in medium and small distribution chains. We develop products under both our own brand and the private label. If you would like to see our products in a specific chain, you can ask us by sending an email to: friasnutricion@frias.es

Are plant-based drinks a substitute for animal milk?

Plant-based drinks came about as a vegetable alternative to cow’s milk and other milk of animal origin. In some cases, people need to eliminate cow’s milk because of intolerance or allergy. In other cases, it’s simply a matter of wanting to achieve a balanced diet, cutting out products of animal origin, for ethical or health reasons.

According to the products’ nutritional information, we can see that soya milk is the plant-based drink that is richest in protein, making it similar to cow’s milk, but with almost half the calories and no saturated fat. What’s more, it’s enriched with calcium and vitamins so it’s a great alternative.

From what age can plant-based drinks be consumed?

Plant-based drinks are always recommended as part of a varied and balanced diet. This said, the age at which they can be incorporated into children’s diet varies from case to case. We thoroughly recommended consulting with a paediatrician to discuss the incorporation of certain foods in a child’s diet or, if they have intolerances, cutting them out.

In any case, plant-based drinks can be incorporated into the child’s diet along with other foods, in accordance with the natural development of their digestive system.

Benefits or contraindications of plant-based drinks in the elderly

Plant-based drinks are always recommended as part of a varied and balanced diet. In theory, there are no general contraindications for senior members of the public. If anything, we could consider that some older people may require a calcium supplement in their diet, given the bone decalcification that comes with old age. Plant-based drinks enriched with calcium would be recommendable in these cases. As always, it’s best to consult with a doctor or a nutritionist, since each case may vary.

Content percentages in plant-based drinks… Why only X%?

As their name suggests, plant-based drinks are drinks. That’s why their composition includes a significant percentage of water, otherwise they would not be liquid. The nut family contains a large amount of nutrients, so a small amount is enough to make a plant-based drink.

For example, if we compare some plant-based drinks with cow’s milk:

  • Whole cow’s milk contains approximately 88% water, the rest being made up of nutrients (12%): 3.2% proteins, 3.6% fat, 4.7% carbohydrates,…
  • Our soya drink with calcium contains 90% water, the rest being made up of nutrients (10%): 3.1% proteins, 1.7% fat, 3.7g carbohydrates,…
  • Our almond drink (with 2% almonds) is 93% water, (proteins 0.6g, fat 1.5g, carbohydrates 3.5g)

And if we compare them with some solid products, the water percentage is: Onion 91%, artichoke 88%, raspberry 89%.

What are isoflavones and why are they good for us?

Isoflavones are natural biological components that are found in plants and which, in our body, can act as estrogens, therefore foods rich in isoflavones such as soya are highly recommended. These are just a few of their benefits:

  • They fight the symptoms of menopause.
  • They favour the absorption of calcium.
  • They help to control cholesterol levels.
  • They increase the production of white blood cells.
  • They have an anti-inflammatory action.
  • They have antioxidant power.
Is there a daily recommended amount or a limitation?

There is no recommended daily amount or limitation associated with the consumption of plant-based drinks. They are always recommended as part of a varied and balanced diet.

How can I find out if a product is non-GMO?

European regulations state that foods that have genetically modified ingredients must clearly specify this on the labels in the product information. However, if they do NOT contain genetically modified organisms, it is NOT necessary to state anything. Even so, and due to the general lack of awareness regarding this rule, food producers choose to inform consumers that their products do NOT contain genetically modified organisms.

Frías Nutrición does not use any genetically modified ingredients.

Menu